There is so much I want to say. Things swirling around in my heart and head. Memories, discoveries, thoughts, triumphs and frustrations. Unfortunately my struggle with meningitis is not quite over and I am somewhat unable to face daunting tasks. It has taken away pieces of my memory and I still am very sensitive to stress (like I needed that!)
I do want to put down a few thoughts, but I am not sure how far I will get.
1. It was a great trip for our family. We all had a lot of good times and I was able to go to the parks with the family every day. I learned a lot about the boys, such as E is an adrenaline junkie and M is much braver at facing his fears than I am. They were a sweet mixture of grown up roller coaster lovers and sweet little guys that wanted to ride Peter Pan over and over. (Many times we were the oldest kids in line-it made me smile). It was a great picture of where we are in life right now.
2. I saw how much my family loved me as they valiantly took turns pushing my wheelchair and putting up with all the restrictions that put on our stay.
3. I do not like crowds. I can not imagine what it must be like in the summer since I was having panic attacks while others were being amazed at the small crowds! Of course it could have something to do with me being butt level to a million strangers!
4. Being in a wheelchair will teach you a world of things about human nature. I think my entire family got a great big lesson on how to watch out for the disabled. We also got to meet a lot of really cool people in the wheelchair lines that we would never had met otherwise.
5. Being me I spent a lot of time analyzing the "Disney" effect. I am fascinated by the marketing genius of Disney. How on earth do they sell people on the fact that this is a magical vacation. In reality it is hot, tiring, and overstimulating. The lines are full of whiny children and angry parents all waiting hours for a minute of fun. I am amazed they can even get people to go, much less get them to spend so much money and leave being thankful for the opportunity. Yet many times I felt the same pull. It really is amazing!
6. I think I enjoyed the display on Walt Disney's life more than most of the rest of it. We did it right at the end and it explained so much. He was a really interesting man and he was amazingly creative. It is sad that Disney has never really become what he dreamed it would be. I was fascinated by his desire to create a fantasy land for people to escape. That has very much happened, there is very little reality there. In some ways it reminded me of a feeble human attempt at heaven. All happiness and light, magic and wonder. Maybe that is the draw. Our inner desire for heaven calls out for escape from this harsh reality that is life. We all want a taste of fantasy, and Disney sells it for $75 a head!
7. I love, love, love the fact that we all were excited to be coming home. How amazing that our home is so great that Disney pales in comparison. That is amazing and has never been true before in my life.
So for all you warriors that prayed for this trip. Thank you! God allowed more than I could have ever asked and is continuing to heal and provide.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So glad you could make it and that you were able to see these things through it too. Welcome home!
glad you're back. what a sweet post. hope to see you soon :)
Glad you had a good time in spite of the wheelchair:) And it is super cool to have every one excited to be home. Aaahhh! I do love to travel but I also really love HOME -
Yeah for you girl!
Sounds like a great trip.
Your being at butt level to a million people comment cracked me up!
Hope you are able to continue resting and gaining strength now that you are back home :)
Good for you! Being able to enjoy vacation with your family is huge for what you went through just weeks prior to it.
What a blessing! Glad everyone's enjoying being home. We always feel the same way. It's such a good feeling.
Post a Comment