Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year

Today was a great start to the new year. We enjoyed a German tradition from T.'s father's family and ate Hausenpfeffer. This is meat that is marinated in vinegar for 3 days and then boiled in vinegar and topped with a vinegar gravy. Needless to say we are all a little pickled! It is served over mashed potatoes and was eaten with a big family and lots of laughter. What a great start!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

SO glad you enjoyed your pickled meat. Sounds lovely. :-) I miss you! I'll cook you something in vinegar if you'll come visit!

Ronda said...

"Hausenpfeffer" is one of my family's favorite words! Of course it is used when Jere is tickling the kids or holding something ransom and they have to say the "magic" word. I never knew what it really was! LOL! Happy New Year!!!

Kim said...

That sounds very strange. Who knows, maybe eating black-eyed peas and cornbread sounds strange to a German. That's what we always eat for New Year's Day. For good luck, which I don't believe in, but I do love Spicey Black-Eyed Pea soup with buttermilk cornbread. Mmmm...
I actually never knew what Hausenpfeffer was either. That reminds me of a line in "So I Married an Axe Murderer" by Mike Myers: "I believe that most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare." I would try just about anything once!

Marsha said...

My lips are puckered just thinking about it!

Marsha said...

How do you do a blog archive like that?

Amy said...

Um, that does NOT sound good to me! lol... I'm glad you had fun though!!!!

alli said...

i can't stop looking at that picture of our boys.

i absolutely love it.

Leslie said...

Sounds, uh, fun . . . and a little gross. :o)