I could use some advise. I have a friendship that I am feeling very unsatisfied with and I need some advise about it.
My friend (none of you!) that says she cares about me. When we talk, she says that she loves me and that she wants to put the effort necessary into having a real, deep, and true friendship. The problem is that I do not enjoy the effort she is giving. In my mind, the things that she does to build a relationship are not profitable.
First, she says that she wants to get to know me, so she asked to read my journals. I thought that was not too strange, so I let her. She has put a lot of time into reading them, but now she feels like she is the utmost authority on me. She tells other people about me based on what she read, which would be fine since I have nothing to hide, but she has misunderstood much of what I was writing. The information she shares is often slightly off, and sometimes is just plain wrong. When I confront her and try to talk through some of the things she has misunderstood, she blows me off and says she doesn't have any time to talk face to face. It seems like see is more interested in spending time reading my journals than she is in talking to me.
Second, she has long conversations about me with other people. Again, this doesn't seem bad, but some of information she is getting and sharing is wrong. She has collected letters about me written by other people and often judges me based on what others say about me. This has lead to her accusing me of being mean, unfair, harsh and uncaring. I try to explain that she is receiving a one-sided story from others, but again, she refuses to actually listen to me and take the time to talk through these issues. In a way I feel that her esteem of me is slipping. It seems the more she reads ABOUT me and talks ABOUT me, the worse her understanding of me.
Third, she has given me a block of her time. She said that she is very busy, which I fully understand, and that she can only spend a portion of her time building our friendship. If I call or ask to see her other than during this set time she acts like it is a huge disruption of her time. She really acts put out and sometimes even refuses to talk to me. I understand that she needs to manage her time, but sometimes I need someone to talk to other than at a specified time. I think that a real friendship should be more flexible. I wish that we could just enjoy small snippets of time together throughout the day, a conversation her, an email there, and maybe some alone time (but not always at a set in stone, specified time!)
Please help me understand if I am out of line here. This person is very important to me. I love her so much that I am willing to love her no matter what, but I was wondering if any of this seems strange to anyone else. Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Yes, VERY strange. I wouldn't put any more effort into a relationship like that. There's obvious some need in her to psychoanalyze you. Anyone who doesn't listen with the goal of understanding me is not worth my time. I imagine that after you reread your post, you may have seen a little more light in this situation. Maybe there's more positive than what you wrote, but from your words ... there is just something totally off. My limited experience w/friends who've had pscho friends which proved disastrous ... I'd limit everything and steer clear of such a self-absorbed individual. Obviously, there's a reason for your continued desire for this relationship so there must be more to it.
You are NOT out of line! It's easy to get to know someone if you read their journals...Have you read any of hers? Do you "know" her? Friendship is a work in progress. I don't think you can just decide to be "Good" friends with someone. Those relationships just happen. And if you do - you end up striving so hard to realize it's not meant to be. She basically says, "I don't have the time to actually get to know you so - give me your cliff notes (Journal) and then I'll know everything and WAALAA - we are 'best friends'!"
I personally think you should write this blog in your journal and give it to her to read...See if she catches on.
You are a great girl. I love your honesty and people like you are hard to come by. Not everyone is as genuine and open - the fact you let her read your journal is very self sacrificing. You gave and you get nothing in return. That's not friendship!!
Hang in there! Be honest - your good at that...But don't put yourself out there anymore! Not worth it!
Friendship is precious to me. Gentle, fun, happy, caring, nurturing,meaningful, educational, accountable, and Spirit filled. Once a friendship stops meeting these critera, it stops being a friendship. It could be a Spiritual mentoring relationship, and aquintance, or a person I like, pray for but don't spend a lot of quality time with. I like what C said. In the name of self preservation, I would step back, pray for her, be available for Spiritual counseling, and invest your time in people that love, care about and want the best for you. From what you've said about her, I'm not sure that's the case. Besides, you already have PLENTY of wonderful friends! Do you really need more!? ( kidding:) )
Sorry, I meant "acquaintance!"
I think I hear what you are saying, loud and clear. I am thankful that He is a patient friend.
-Joy
I've never had a situation exactly like yours but I have had "friendships" that have truly drained me. I pray that God will give you the strength and wisdom to know how to continue to love this friend yet to know when to push forward with the relationship and when to just let go. I'm sorry for the pain you are going through. Love ya lots!
Sounds like she's taking you on as a project..like she's had too much therapy and feels she needs to practice it herself on someone.
Im with the others. I would back out of this "friendship." There is a difference is longsuffering with a friend who is different with you and has miscommunication that you have to work through, or areas of immaturity. But someone who doesn't have time to even say hey on the phone (granted, i understand how busy people are) but can't just give you a few minutes, with love, to explain how she will call you back later: that is not friendship. You should not have to feel guilty for pursuing her. If you do, then I'd stop pursuing her.
As far as the jounals, I have NEVER asked to read any of my freinds journals. I just think that odd behavior. Im all about transperancy, but that is taking it up a notch. I commend your openness, but i would say that she isn't someone who is seeking to understand. I'd lovingly back out of this one.
sorry you are having to go through this.. i went through something similiar with someone who WAS a very close friend at one point. Its hurtful. I will definately pray for you and how you proceed.
Sorry, I didn't "get" it. I'll read it again with fresh eyes!
I am thinking along the lines that this is the way we are with Jesus, reading His word, letters that others wrote about Him. Then, we have our "quiet time" with Him at a set hour, but are then content to leave Him in that box we created. We often don't go deeper in the relationship, to allow Him full access in our own lives.
Am I onto something or just reading way too much into this?
I'm going with -j on this one. If this isn't about our relationship with Him, and how we treat Him, then I would pimp slap that "friend!" HA!
So glad I know the story. What a shame I can recognize myself in the same relationship all too often - just as the "friend" with our sweetest of Friends!
What a brilliant post!!!
I linked from Spinning Plates, to Artsy Fartsy, then to you. Got lost, and I'm sure glad!!
You're a great writer.
Thanks for the pointed words of admonition. Amazing!!!
Post a Comment