Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Water

Standing at the edge of the ocean is one of my all time favorite moments. The roar of the surf clears my head of all the daily noise and the endless view of water gives me a proper prospective of who I am.

I ponder the verse in the Bible that tells us that God tells the water where to go and allows it to go no further. With each wave that washes onto the shore I realize the infinite power of God.

Water is so hard to control. Just spill a glass of water on the counter and try to keep it from spilling on the floor. Water is very heavy and yet has no definite shape. It is hard to contain. It will seep through the tiniest crack and will can wear down the hardest rock just by running over it.

The ocean contains about 300 million cubic miles of water. Each cubic mile is about 100 billion gallons of water. Each gallon of water a little over 8 pounds. That means that in controlling the ocean and keeping it within the boundaries God has for it, He controls 240,000,000,000,000,000,000 pounds of water (and that doesn't include the weight of the salt in the water). FYI- that is 240 quintillion

Man, He is powerful!

(Please forgive any mistakes in my math or understanding of the facts, and feel free to correct them!)

7 comments:

Ronda said...

I'm impressed that you know those facts! :) It is impossible to even try to grasp His amazing power. I've never even thought of it that way. Wow!

Graced said...

Girl, I don't know those facts, I just got curious and looked them up on the internet and did the (some what shaky) math.

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

cool.. what a mighty God we serve. That is pretty amazing.

Abbey said...

I love this post. I'm a beach girl to my core mainly because of the awe I feel for the Creator of the Universe when I'm standing in front of the water. It's always funny to me that when I get in on my float, I NEVER go past a certain point in the water becaseu I'm all too aware of the power it holds. Ain't no way I'm messin' with that!!

Dollar General said...

Great perspective. And thanks for telling me how much that HUGE number is! I can only count to a trillion! HA! I hate to say it but I've never thought about just how much water God is CONTROLLING! Even if it was just what we see - that's a lot but the water goes further than that! WOW! Praise God for he is mighty and strong!

Amy said...

I was just thinking of water today, watching the news. The Midwest has too much. Devestation. We have too little. Devestation. Only God controls water, and it just blows my mind. It's powerful and He is so much more so. Amazing. And thanks for the mouth BandAid info!!!

Jennifer said...

Incredibly humbling.