Friday, August 24, 2007

Sweet, Sweet Friends

First of all I have to say that I am deeply touched by all the kind words and wonderful advise. You are all wonderful women of God and your heart to protect me makes me smile deep in my heart.

The sad news, dear ones, is that this naughty friend is me. As I seek to teach the boys about developing a relationship with God, I have been meditating on what that means. I have come to realize that I judge my relationship with God by a set of standards that do not make a good relationship of any kind. I strive for a set amount of time in which I read His word, read a devotional, and dial in my list of "please give me these." When God put this allegory on my heart, it revealed so much to me. I don't want to share all of that yet because I would love for each of you to hear God's heart on your own.

I will leave you with a verse...
Deuteronomy 13:4 "You will FOLLOW the Lord your God and RESPECT Him; and you will KEEP His commandments, LISTEN to His voice, SERVE Him, and CLING to Him."

5 comments:

-C said...

So that makes much more sense!! I couldn't imagine you needing our advice about such a person-to-person relationship. You're too smart to have not figured out how to handle it. :)
Interesting take, however, on our relationship to God. For years, I've avoided a set time for devotional (after more years of being routine) and seek to relate to Him uniquely in every part of my day. It looks different all the time and I always yearn for extended times of quiet fellowship ...much like a sweet visit with at long-time friend. He is there all the time. I like what the church in China does ...add an empty chair to the room for Him to allow them to remember His presence among them.

Sure, there are seasons when we don't meet very regularly, but I don't imagine God as a frustrated, jealous friend. His love for me runs deep and so his understanding of my place in this world (very imperfect) is patient.

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

Girl.. you are pretty awesome! I just went back re-read your "problem" situation. I read it with different eyes and boy are you right on. I have to say, the journal part through me off when I read it the first time and the part about other people writing letters about you. ;-)

Very neat perspective. I just got back from our womens retreat and sat under Susan Hunt and she had such a refreshing encouragement to young mothers: do not feel guilty about a "set time" of time alone with God. Be on your knees, yes. But learn as you are teaching your children the truths and that is your "devotion" to Him. the season will come back again of hours to sit and read and pray. Until then, just make your goal to glorify Him and allow the older women in your life, the ones who are in the season of hours to study and pray, be the ones to help encourage you in the deep stuff.

It was nice to see someone free us young moms fromt he guilt, that I KNOW the Lord does not place on us.

I absolutely treasure your insights girl. Wow.

Kim said...

Our pastor did a sermon on Ezekial 16 one Sunday, which talks about the church being compared to an orphan that He chooses for his own, being brought up to be a bride and then prostituting herself out to many men (very nutshell version). I had to leave the service because I was sobbing so hard and was so convicted by my own sin. It will always be so frustrating to live in this body and struggle with our sin nature. I stopped having "devotions" because it had become so mundane and something I could "check" off my to-do list. My relationship with God is so frustrating and yet the most constant thing in my entire life. It is the only thing that i can hope in and know will be around for my entire life.

Amy said...

Jenn spilled the beans already, and I'm so glad she did. It gave me days to reflect on how I treat God, and ask Him honestly about how I am as far as our relationship goes. It was about as scary as asking your husband what you can change about yourself to make the relationship better! God appreciates your making me think about all of this!! :)And I LOVE you for it...

Abbey said...

I hope you don't think I wanted to pimp slap you! Although, I probably would if you treated me like that, to be quite honest. Which just makes His loving pursuit of me all the more humbling. Becasue He knows I lean way more on the side of neglect and abuse when it comes to my relationship with Him.
Good post.