Saturday, February 6, 2010

Does God really care what I am doing?

Is God the type of creator that creates and then steps back to watch? Does He have a perfect plan for your life? Perhaps He has a generalized will, as expressed through His word, but leaves the moment by moment details up to us.

As I teach my kids about God, I ponder these things, even as I am saying them. I tell them that God has written out their days before they were even formed in my womb. Over and over I press home the message that God has created them with a specific purpose in mind, a job to do, and has equipped them perfectly for this plan. But sometimes I come upon people who just as firmly believe that God really doesn't care what you are doing, just that you are following the rules. Living a godly life, but not squabbling over the details.

Here is my conclusion: I am dumb, blind, and ignorant. Not literally, at least I hope not, but in a spiritual sense. We are told that our greatest wisdom is foolishness when compared with God. I look at it this way. My children are sweet, smart, and pretty well grounded, but they make some of the most foolish decisions. Some of these decisions are because of immaturity, some are defiance stemming from a sin-soaked soul, some are from an inability to understand how all the pieces of a situation fit together. Many times they make poor decisions because they are over-confident. They firmly believe they know what I want and how to get there.

I am exactly the same way with God. I think I understand how things work and how He would want me to act, only to find years later that I have matured into a deeper understanding that makes the past look like foolishness. I am depraved and just refuse to obey at times. I am deceived into thinking that I am able to understand the situation and behave appropriately.

This reminds me of a blind, deaf man insisting that it is safe to cross a New York City thoroughfare in the middle of rush hour. He may not see the cars or hear their speed. He may be making a decision based on all the knowledge he has, but it will still be dangerous.

I am the same. I do not see the future. I do not have the ability to fully understand all that God is trying to accomplish. I don't even have a good grasp on the spiritual realities that are swirling around me. I am blind and deaf to true reality.

So for me, I am happy to say that God is welcome to guide my every step. I need Him. I am only here for a short time and I realize that I can not do what I need to do without moment by moment guidance. I am overwhelmingly thankful for the Holy Spirit living inside me, ready to guide, comfort, and teach.

No comments: