Thursday, March 26, 2009

Simply Live- Softner

For a while now I have been diluting my softner with up to 2/3 vinegar. The vinegar makes a great rinse for super clean clothes and helps set darker colors. It is great for dealing with smells, as well.

Today I saw a recipe for homemade softner that is along the same lines.

Soak citrus peels in vinegar for at least three days. Use the vinegar just like regular softner. Replace the peelings every 3 weeks.

Sounds interesting. I wanted to get it down before I forgot.

I also saw a recipe for hairspray that sounds fun. It consists of citrus as well. The fun part is the vodka....


In the Garden- Using lots and lots of mulch is great for your garden. It kills weeds, traps moisture, encourages fat earthworms and provides some nutrients for the ground. Unfortunately it also is a great place for slugs. To get rid of them you can sit out shallow dishes full of beer to drown them, or you can place a soaking wet piece of cardboard on the ground near your plants. In the morning the slugs will have congregated under the cardboard and can be killed.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

...time to make more hairspray...I run out so quickly these days...

Amy said...

I can't wait to see you at Publix with Beer and Vodka in your buggy. I'm going to spread wide, vicious rumors about my sweet Southern friend, sitting in her garden with her beautiful hair, drinking vodka straight out of the bottle. Okay, I'm only kidding! :):):)

Graced said...

The hairspray will be used for when the days get too hard to face and I have to spray it into my mouth to get up the courage to face the children.

Amy-Bring it on :)

Shannon said...

girl i love you dearly!!!!!! you always bring a smile to my face. miss seeing yours by the way...

Abbey said...

lol! you should have a girls' night with hairspray cocktails.

Michelle said...

Gives a whole new meaning to, "I'm having a bad hair day?"