Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our Jewish roots

I bought a book on a return to celebrating the Jewish feasts by followers of Christ. It is really interesting. I have felt a pull on my heart to use our holidays to drive my family back to the Word. To use them as times of remembrance. Well doesn't God just lead you where He wants you. This book takes my ideas a step further by offering the suggestion of incorporating the Jewish feast days into your family. Many of these days coincide with holidays already.

Although I have always cherished Israel and the Jews as God's chosen people, I have failed to really think through their place as my spiritual predecessors. It has been enlightening to consider that we are grafted into the Jewish race. They are not to come out and be separated, we are called to join into them. Not only is there not a command to stop the Feasts that God Himself instituted, but Christ encouraged his followers to continue celebrating Passover, but to celebrate it as a remembrance of His fulfillment of the Feast.

My fear of legalism makes me tread this path softly, but I am finding it very interesting. At very least, it is tender to learn about and remember the feasts that our beloved Christ grew up celebrating.

The point of the feasts was to draw God's people ever closer to Him. It was one more way that He was offering relationship and intimacy. What if the offer still stands and we could draw close to Him through these as well?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

you found it right after i left, didn't you? :-)