Monday, January 12, 2009

Manipulator

My name means manipulator but often it is found on cute cards as Captivating. Man, I really like that better!

I've made my way to the story of Rebekah. After having what sounds like a miserable time with two fighting boys in her womb, she asks God what is going on. He replies that two nations are beginning in her belly and they will continue to fight. The surprising news was that the youngest would rule the oldest.

Out pop two boys as different as night and day. One is rough and tough and loves the fields, the other is slight and hangs around the tents (the world of the women). Rebekah falls for this quiet child and Isaac loves the hunter.

As the boys grow and Isaac reaches the end of his life I suppose Rebekah got a bit panicked. She knew that Jacob should have the blessing, according to the Word she had been given. Instead of waiting for God's timing and trusting His ability to do what He promised, she starts manipulating. Just like Sarah, her fear that things were not going right led her to make a gigantic mess.

There are so many lessons in this story about loving and raising your children, but I was really touched by a warning once again to wait patiently for God's perfect timing. Not to walk by my understanding, but to quiet my heart and wait.

Love you all.

1 comment:

care-in said...

"...wait patiently for God's perfect timing..."

A lesson I am learning too!