The drive to put out all the Christmas stuff has just not been biting at my heals this year. I have been dragging my feet a little. Questioning why on earth we go to all this trouble. Yesterday the boys talked me into dragging our things down and letting them get into it all.
M grabbed the Nativities and starting getting all the pieces out and played with them for hours. We have two great sets and we have always let them play with them all they want. They have a deep love for them. This year we had to have a talk about respecting the fact that they do symbolize a very holy event and we should be somewhat reverent in our play (this came after Mary dressed up as a man, the wise men were secret Ninjas that were attacking Joseph and Baby Jesus borrowed the Angel's wings and smarted off to His parents while flying around and performing magic!)
Last year the boys had their own trees to decorate and keep in their rooms. E couldn't wait to take his upstairs and decorate. He spent hours getting it all set up just right. I was puttering around with a few things around the house (and pouting about my lack of decorating ability. Yes, I do want to be Abby Gore every Christmas, there I admit it! :} ) E came down and begged for a CD player for Christmas music in his room, so after digging one out of the garage and getting him set up, he disappeared again. The next time I saw him he invited me to come see his room.
When I got upstairs he had turned off all the lights but the tree, he had carefully adjusted the volume of the perfect Christmas song to play in the background, he had cleaned his room and was standing with a Camilla blossom held out shyly to me. He invited me to snuggle on his bed. It really overwhelmed me. The song was one that I loved as a child and one that always made me long for sweet fellowship at Christmas. I struck, to the point of tears, by the fact that I now have all I longed for as a child. My sweet baby gave me such an amazing gift.
I can not believe the unending unconditional love these sweet boys pour out on me. Later when I lost my patience with M he just looked at me with this beautiful expression of understanding and love. He became the mature one at that moment while I was acting the petulant child.
They are such a gift to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Children have this wonderful way of showing us how important we actually are.
That is a really sweet story!
Kids are good teachers, aren't they? I've got my "Not so tender moments" blog brewing.... :)
Precious post! Thanks for sharing that tender moment with us.
so sweet....
Precious...I loved reading this. I could just see their enthusiasm and expressions.
sweet boys!
Glad to have stumbled over here.... what a beautiful post!
I'm glad your kids are giving you your Christmas Spirit. I finally pulled all my stuff out, too. It's not decorated yet, but it's out.
Thanks for the compliment! I do love decorating for Christmas. It holds alot of sentimental value these days too.
Anyway, that was a sweet gift from your big guy. There's really nothing quite like those moments.
oh my... that ade me tear up...you have done an incredible job raising those boys!!
Such a sweet post...
...but I can't stop laughing about baby Jesus flying around smarting off to his parents all while doing majic! ha. Whew...and the secret ninjas...that's a riot.
Post a Comment