Monday, October 8, 2007

My Shepherd

My sweet son is learning to read and absolutely loves to get out his homemade pulpit and read aloud to us. Yesterday he was reading Psalm 23 to me and I was struck by how much peace it offers.

"The Lord is my Shepherd..." How amazing! Shepherds are the eyes, ears, and discernment for the flock. While the shepherd is watching over them there is no need for them to have any concerns, fears, or anxiety. A good shepherd is always watching, listening and judging the needs of the flock. He is the flocks defender, shelter, and protector. He is able to comprehend things the sheep would never understand, so he is able to meet their needs better than they could do so for their selves.

It is wonderful to picture myself as a sheep sleepily munching grass, too secure to worry about all the danger that might come upon me. To rest in a deep abiding trust. No worries! But more than that, I am thrilled that the LORD is my Shepherd. We don't just have a caring friend that is just as human as we are, we have the creator of the universe. The one that breathed out complex creation. The one that has numbered the stars. The infinite, unstoppable, gracious and loving Lord.

Wow!

That brings such as sense of release to me. If I chose to trust, I have the option of being like a sheep. I can walk calmly through all that life holds for me. I do not have to struggle to understand, plan, control, and order my life. I don't have to worry about the future, the present, or the past.

I guess a sheep could be particularly anxious. Perhaps one that has been hurt in the past and is frightened. But how sad is that. It will not help the sheep to worry. The sheep absolutely does not have the ability to protect itself, or even conceive of what is reality. All its fear is in vain.

I heard once that if a shepherd has a lamb that will not stay with him, one that constantly wanders off trying to make it's own decisions, the shepherd will take swift action to teach the lamb to trust him. He will break the lamb's leg, and then he will carry the lamb everywhere until the leg is healed. During that time the lamb becomes intimately acquainted with the shepherd and by the time all is well, the lamb no longer has a desire to wander. The shepherd has taught the lamb to trust him.

Just food for thought.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your blog. I always want to say the same thing which is "I love this post" I really do love this post. God is so good.

Jenn said...

How absolutely beautiful-I needed to hear this today-I think I'll go read it right now & ponder what you shared.
There just isn't anything more precious than Christ.
Thank you for shepherding your boys the way you do-it is such an inspiration from another mom of 2 boys:).

Anonymous said...

good stuff woman. I love the broken leg. I wonder how many times my legs have been broken. But more that he carries you...after he breaks it. i guess its the same thing when i spank Jorge and then immediately hug him and tell him I love him and then attempt to pray. he always says, "Jesus obey." instead of "jesus help me obey." its hilarious. In fact, he's gone around chickfila yelling to other kids, "Jesus obey." because they aren't obeying their own mommies. I digress. Good stuff girl. I always get nourishment when I read your thoughts. You are a sweet treasure.

Jennifer said...

Whenever I shared a version of this story with my 1st graders back in the day, I'd get so choked up seeing it "click" for them. To know how much our tender Shepherd loves us, even to the point of allowing us to hurt and teaching us lessons the hard way, really is amazing.

Tanya said...

My leg has been broken so many times and I didn't know it. I love the picture that creates for me of the Lord and the way He disciplines. Hmmmm. Thanks for sharing.

Stace' said...

The Lord truly is a good Shepherd, and most assuredly loves us enough to break our leg (or legs in my case) and carry us. He is SO kind!!

It can take yrs. to learn this, especially when we don't know Him, and are scared He's just like folks that have hurt us.

He is patient, and kind. Thanks be to God!!!!