When I went to a new doctor this week, he looked at the long list of various seemingly unconnected things that my doctors have labeled me with since I was fifteen. One thing popped out to him. A large number of these things could all be caused by having too much adrenaline in the blood. An excess of adrenaline can cause fatigue, aching body pain, mitral valve prolapse, anxiety attacks (especially ones that are not based in reality), an exaggerated startle reflex, ringing in the ears, bowel issues, and my all time nemesis: belly fat!
Well!
This is caused by undergoing a particularly stressful event as a child. When the brain is forming, it is meant to be kept safe and at peace. If it is it will develop normally and the adrenal glands will learn how to release adrenaline for the right reason and in the right amount. If there is an abnormal amount of stress present the adrenal gland are overstimulated (the body's way of always being about to fight or run whenever danger might show up). That over stimulation carries over into adulthood, but as time goes on the heightened state of readiness starts taking it's toll on your heart and muscles and other organs. Eventually the body wears out and starts to break down. The belly fat is related to cortisol that is produced along with the adrenaline. This little hormone is responsible for gathering blood sugar and storing it as fat in the belly (where it is most easily accessible) for use in an emergency. The excess weight around the belly that will not come off no matter what is related to the body's belief that it is always in a state of danger and needs to be ready to have fuel to run.
The doctor says that the best, most natural remedy is large amounts of exercise. Basically to give the body a way to use up all the adrenaline it is producing. This is a great ideal, but it doesn't really solve the problem, just the symptoms. But as I look back at the last 13 years of my life I can clearly see that God is the answer to the real problem. Basically I have believed a lie deep in my heart that I am in constant danger. In the past years, God has been slowly changing that reality for me. If the doctor thinks I am high strung now, he probably would have sedated me as a teenager. (Think constant panic attacks and anxiety out of control) God has been faithful to prove that He is in control and I can relax and trust Him. This is making all the difference in the world.
"Come to me all you who are heavy laden..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It was so wonderful talking to you today. You sounded well rested and I dunno....like you were able to breathe..
have you seen this site before? It seems waaaay up your alley...
http://www.jessetrees.com/
love you love you love you!
arg.
it's www.jesse-trees.com
sorry...
I have been peeking over onto your blog for several weeks now and love how candid you are, and how you always point back to Christ, The One and Only.
I got chills reading this entry, and am enjoying your others.
All blessings!!!
Wow - how fascinating! I'm hopeful that you are able to trust the Greatest Physician to help you through some of these struggles. It's neat to hear how He's already healed you of things that have been past issues.
Wow, that's crazy. I wish that there were more that they could do for you, but I know you're trusting God... I'm praying for that sweet body of yours.
This speaks directly to me and I've thought about it all weekend. Still thinking about it. Thanks for being candid.
I have the best network of female friends ever. You are all a support and comfort to me. You encourage me and make the journey so much more bearable. Thank you!
Post a Comment