Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Love

If Jesus said that the world would know that we belonged to the living God through our love, why is the community that calls itself "Christians" known for being hateful? Why is church the last place a sinner would feel welcome, a prostitute would find refuge, a homeless man would find shelter? Is it possible that the word "Christian" is no longer an accurate description of the loving children of God? Should those that demonstrate a true God-love be called something else? Would I qualify as a disciple of Jesus if judged by my love?

2 comments:

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

good thought. Unfortunately I think that the other side of that thought is that when Jesus said the world would know us by our love.. it means that that could confirm or deny that we are His. He is the one who said that if we do not love others we are haters of Him. Thats a strong thing to say. I think that the catholic church, little "c" (universal) is a lot smaller than we realize. Our pastor just quoted an old church father (can't remember the name) that had a dream he went to heaven and asked God if there were baptists in heaven. God said no. Presbyterians? No. Methodists? No.. you get the point. God said only Christ ones are here. then he went to hell and asked satan if there were baptists in hell. yes. Presbyterians? Yes. methodists? yes. and on and on it went. The point being. Love is very important to Christ. Those that do not have it are not His. the book of 1 John is pretty clear about that one.

Michelle said...

That is so sad and true that we can be so hateful, but I have seen the proof (even if only every once in a while) that He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it. I know I have been hateful time and time again to the ones I love the most but I have also loved them. And the neatest thing is that some of the christians who have been the most hateful to me have also been a light in the world. I just SO can NOT wait for Heaven!!!