Every woman wants to be beautiful.
Instead of quoting from this wonderful chapter, I want to share some of my journey in this area. It has always been amazing to me that I can be both prideful and self-loathing in the same breath. Both are a sin. Both are extremes. One looks at others and says, "Thank goodness I look so good next to her!" The other looks at itself and says, "Oh my goodness what is that!" In keeping with my new favorite verse in Ecclesiastes I am trying to learn to stay in the middle.
It has become important to me to learn that I am who God made me. My brother had a poster on his wall that said, "God made me and God don't make no junk!" I am tired, bone-weary, of fighting against who I am. I am exhausted with trying to fit into styles that were never meant for me. I am tired of wishing I looked different or was built in a totally different way. I have come to realize that I could never have what I want, anyway. I mean, how could I be flat chested enough to wear cute tank tops one day and voluptuous enough to fill out a sweater the next day? How could I manage thin straight hair on Sunday, and fun, bouncy curls for Tuesday? If I had my way I would end up having multiple body disorder instead of multiple personalities.
Contrary to what American media says, I can not have it all. I can not rejoice in the wisdom of age and have a baby's skin. I can not comfort my family with soft curves and comfy laps and be lean and lanky. I can not eat what I love and look like a toothpick. Instead, I can learn to love what I have. I can learn to dress in a way that emphasizes what beauty God gave me, instead of crushing it while trying to emphasize something I do not, and will not ever, have. I can unveil the beauty that God gave me.
I can be proud of my eyes, my smile, my shape. I can love the soft skin under my arms as it flaps when I wave. I can be proud of the nose and butt that tie me so clearly to my family tree. I can love that my body possesses gifts that my husband enjoys (even when they get in my way).
The other side is that I can love my friend's beautiful hair, glory in my friend's white teeth, enjoy my friend's muscular strength, be proud of my friend's willowy height. (and no they are not found all on the same friend!)
So join with me. Stand in front of your mirror in the morning and find the things that are unique to you. God does not want us all to look alike or be alike. Glory in the difference and start praising Him for what He gave you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love this. I was dealing with self image today! Being at camp with no mirror was pretty good! Coming home getting on the scales and standing in a full length mirror was very TERRIFYING! I realize that getting in shape takes time and your blog helped me be patient! Thank you! When you find a cute fashion that fits the average "young mom" let me know! I hate these new fashions - I'm not a teenager!! HELLO - I've had 2 kids!! Thanks again for your insight - my one thing today was my hair did good! HA!
Well first of all girl, If I remember correctly, flat-chestedness isn't something God bestowed upon you! So I say go for the "filling out of the sweaters"! (And that's straight out of the mouth of a flat-chested woman!)
How 'bout this...I'll wear the tank top, you wear the sweater and we'll glory in each other's differences over lunch! HA!
She's totally right on in that book. I'm loving all the reminders of the great stuff in it. I struggle with my body too. It's very hard not to and live in the world at the same time. What a relief it will be in heaven when we will finally know what true beauty is and exactly what God designed it to be in us and through us.
What a great struggle you're in! Sounds like you're in a fight against the lies that evil speaks to us as women.
Don't listen to them! You are a beautiful woman... flappy arm skin and all!
You really are beautiful in and out. I'd love to have your perfect legs, but even more so you are FULL of wisdom(and not all people hear "wisdom" at the end of that sentence). I think about the things you say all the time. In fact I say "My friend R said..." and even share your wisdom with others all the time.
We have talked of this before and I love hearing how God is working on your heart. I bought Captivating about 2 years ago and it still sits on my shelf unread. It is coming down and I'm going to deal with it! This comes from someone who just bought a tub of cookie dough from SAMS - for the back to school bash - yeah right! Thanks for the encouragement!
Post a Comment