E was watching Fox and Hound today. My first thought was remembering how much I hated this story as a kid. I remember listening to it on a record at my best friend's house. At the end, when the dog betrays the fox and acts like he doesn't know his friend, I burst into uncontrollable tears and had to go home. I still sweat a little when I see the picture on the cover of the CD.
E wanted to snuggle during the movie so I made myself sit and watch. I still can't stand to watch for long. I was thinking about why I hate it so. I think it has to do with a friend betraying a friend. I can not understand why a friend would act so hateful. It has always been inexcusable to me.
Then it struck me that since I was a child, I have betrayed many friends (one, a great one, not so long ago) and I am not very trustworthy judging from my track record. It really hurt my heart. I have lived the life I was so hurt by as a child. At the end of the movie, the fox saves the dog's life and then the dog stands up and saves the fox. It was a great reminder that if we fail in a friendship, the only thing to do is apologize and start living like a true friend from that time on.
So for all the friends I have carelessly hurt, by accident or intent, I am deeply sorry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hated that story too! but that is some good thoughts on the moral os the story...
Funny thing: I only heard that story in Spanish growing up. I didn't know that they had it in English till I was babysitting!
"I'm a hound dog!" That's my favorite line!
I love that movie - isn't that funny? I think it's so sad, and do still crt when I see it, but I love that in the end, they get it right. It is just a great picture of mercy, forgiveness, and grace...which I can so relate to.
Post a Comment