Monday, April 23, 2007

The 'ONE' Thing

Jesus told Martha, "only one thing is really necessary." God has been teaching me this weekend about what the "one" thing is. I am understanding that it is my job to keep my eyes only on Him. He is the only thing that I should look at, think about, be concerned with, and definitely the only thing that should make me act.

I am seeing what amazing freedom comes with allowing my eyes to only be on Him, taking full advantage of the Holy Spirit who is waiting to guide and comfort me all the time. I no longer have to worry about other people. I do not have to respond to any situation in my own strength or figure out a solution to any problem. I am free to not worry, feel guilty, manipulate, or beg for good behavior. I am not responsible for the behavior of anyone in my life. I do not control their spiritual state and I am not responsible for cleaning up their messes. I do not have to do anything anyone asks me to and I do not have to fear the rejection that will come with disapointing others. The only thing I HAVE to do is to look at God and walk my life one step at a time according to the perfect plan He has written out for me.

I love the joke, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" That is what God has for us. He says that His Word is a light for our feet. It strikes me how little light that is. I want a spot light that clearly shows the future. I want to have a clear understanding of what is ahead. But God only gives us the next step. We climb the mountains He has prepared for us one step at a time. We are told don't be burdened down by the past and don't worry about tomorrow. Just think about today, focus on the right now.

It is amazingly freeing because no matter how tired I am, I can always take one more step. Especially if that step is planned for me. That is a load that I can handle.

No worrying, no watching, no pleasing, no balancing. Only letting go and only focusing on what God has for me for that moment. No responsibility except to Him, and He is full of mercy and ready to save.

"Come to me all you who are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

There is grace to do whatever God calls me to do. There is not much provision for the millions of times a day that I run off the path and pick up other things.

I love all of you. Please join me in turning your eyes upon Jesus and looking full in His wonderful face. Let's all let the things of earth grow dim. God can take care of the details. Everything will get done, and if it doesn't, then it wasn't important in the first place. Just start by opening your tightly clutched fingers and letting go. Fall back into His waiting arms and find peace!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful and so true. This has been a struggle for me lately. I want to make my relationship with Him a constant priority so that I say yes to all the right things. It's just too darn hard to do it in my own power.
Love you.

-C said...

I'm joining you, sister. Far too often my relationship with my Father is consumed by the doing. What a relief to know that I'm not responsible for anyone else's spiritual state but my own, yet still responsible to share of God's love to those around me. And, when I'm resting in Him, then that is so easy! Thanks for sharing dear friend. Wise words.

Jennifer said...

You're so smart. It's a shame you're wasting it all on just homeschooling your kids. (This is just a JOKE - no mean retorts needed!) :-)

Jennifer said...

You know, you need to listen to "My one thing" by Rich. It's perfect for this whole train of thought.