Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Entertaining Angels?

As part of my new, sit back and let God actually have a hand at leading my life, philosophy, I actually asked God what He wanted the boys to learn during Bible time. I felt led to share the story of Mary and Martha with them. We had a lively discussion about the importance of sitting and listening to God rather than running about and trying to juggle our lives the way we think they should go. How that even good things can be wrong if you aren't sitting and listening to God. (They were very forward, I think, to point out all the similarities between the struggle Martha was having and the failings they see in my life. They really hound me about not saying no, and being too busy!) It was a wonderful time, and I loved how they really picked up on the message of the passage.

After we were finished with school for the day, we headed to Lowe's and then to my parent's for yard work. On the way up 119 we passed a woman pulling a suitcase down the road. My first thought was, "I need to stop and offer her a ride." This was quickly drowned by my fear of people, especially since Tim has worked with so many dangerous people. Then Ethan pointed her out, but I still copped out and drowned out the voice of the Lord with many excuses. By the time I got to Lowe's I knew I had disobeyed and I was feeling a little stubborn about it. When we left Lowe's God sweetly reminded me that I still had a chance to go back and show a little obedience, or at least real repentance that doesn't just say sorry, but turns around and moves in the right direction.

I appologized to the boys, saying that I had sinned and failed to listen to God's direction. I explained that I needed to go back and look for the woman. They were all about obedience (especially since this time it was me in the hot seat!) and off we went to where we had last seen her. Well, we looked everywhere I could think of and feeling sad at my lost opportunity we headed for a direction I thought was toward my parents'.

By this time Micah had his head bowed and was crying. When I asked him what was wrong, he looked up and said, "I'm praying!" Which, of course, made me feel very small. All of the sudden I realized the road we were on had taken us in a big circle and we were back near the Thrift Store. Giving up for good, I headed toward the interstate and a different way toward my parent's house. Now we were going away from where we had seen the woman, but wouldn't you know it, a white shirt caught my attention and there sitting on the side of the road was the woman with the suitcase. As I turned the truck around admist the boys' cheering (wishing I had obeyed in the first place and saved myself a tank of gas) I knew I had no choice but to stop and talk to this woman.

Shaking in my boots, I pulled over and approached an older black woman sitting at an abandoned fruit stand. I asked if I could give her a ride. She replied that she was homeless and had nowhere to go. She had just left a hotel and God had told her to sit here and wait for someone to come along. Now I was in a real quandary because I knew God had not called me to take her in. He was speaking very clearly to me in one ear, while my "southern hospitality" was screaming in the other that I should solve her problems for her, clearly I must be the answer to who she was waiting for. I reasoned that it would be godly to help, wouldn't it. But God would give me no further clearance than to pray with her.

I replied that God had clearly told me to come and offer her a ride, but if she didn't need one, I asked to pray with her. She said sure and held out her soft warm hand. On the side of the road I knelt down and prayed for God's peace and provision as loud eighteen wheelers roared by and two little faces watched from the truck. As I prayed I also became aware of God's next direction. There was $20 in my purse that belonged to this woman. I got up and asked her to wait while I got the money and brought it back to her. I told her that I would keep praying for her and she assured me that God was going to provide for her. She called after me and her words rang deep in my heart. She encouraged me to keep listening to God and obeying Him.

When I got in the car, the boys wanted all the details. "Her name is Mary," I said, "and she is sitting because God told her to sit here and wait." Ethan's eyes were wide with amazement and glistening with tears. "Mom, she is Mary and she is sitting and listening to God! Just like our Bible lesson!" (Micah replied that I had been a Martha, but at least I obeyed in the end and stopped to listen to God.)

It was so hard not to go over and beyond what God had told me to do. I wanted to take this sweet, safe-looking, clean woman home with me, but God had only cleared me to offer a ride, pray, and give her the money.

Later when I told Tim the story I realized that there were so many unusual details. Such as, there is no hotel anywhere close to walking distance from where she was. The place I ended up stopping was not in the direction she had been walking when I first saw her, I believe God had to turn her around and put her where I would see her again. He lead me back to where I needed to be on roads I was sure lead the opposite direction. And what haunts my thoughts is the memory of the first time I saw her. She was 200 yards from my truck when her luggage caught my attention. As my eyes traveled up to her blindingly white shirt, she smiled an amazingly peaceful smile that seemed to pierce my heart.

Tim thinks that Mary is no longer on earth, since her assignment is done and she went on home. I have to agree. Of course, I wondered what an angel would do with $20. (Later, God gave me my money back in the form of an unexpected bonus on a paycheck.)

I don't think any of us will ever forget the story of Mary and Martha.

5 comments:

baloney said...

Fantastic! Thanks for taking time to share... And what awesome reminder from your children!!

-C said...

Amazing story! What a testimony to the blessings God brings when we are faithful to listen to ONLY Him. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Michelle said...

Oh, I love this story. So glad you shared.

alli said...

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!!!!!!

Seriously, that is unbelievable, G! You need to put this in a book or something.

Amazing!!!!!

gotta go read it again!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm so glad you shared this to remind me to be still and listen. This will be something your family will talk about for years!