Monday, February 1, 2010

To write or not to write...

I am considering blogging again. For a long time the blog has just sat here. I wasn't really interested in writing, but I didn't want to burn that bridge just yet.

I want to blog, because I really enjoy the process of thinking as I write. The problem arises with the enormous responsibility of committing your thoughts to the eternal posterity and exposure of the Web. Writing is a fun way for me to wrestle with the issues that are swirling through my head, but I hate the lack of intimacy with anyone who chooses to read it. I can't help them understand the heart behind my words. They can't see my face to help them read my thoughts. I can't correct misconceptions. I hurt people simply because of the lack of true, deep communication.

I have thought about setting up ground rules.

If you read my blog you must agree to the following...

As the reader, I will:
-understand that the words here are just the words of a very imperfect woman.
-understand that Rebecca does not think that she is right all the time or even any of the time.
-understand that these words represent a journey. They are one stop on a life time of learning and as so are incomplete, not gospel, and most likely will either be disproved or fleshed out more fully in the future.
-understand that this blog is not an instruction manual of any kind.
-believe that the writer does not care if I think differently or live differently.


The problem is that I can't make rules or control people. So I have to decide if it is worth it. Honestly, it comes down to the question of whether or not God finds it to be a worthwhile pursuit and is willing to partner with me to help me.

Well there it is, for what it is worth.

No comments: