Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cooking with kids

I have decided that it is time for the boys to start being responsible for some of the regular cooking and product making that we do. This would be things like our bread, snack foods, yogurt, and laundry soap, shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant.

A typical recipe is a bit vague for new cooks and my sweet distracted boys need a little help remembering where they are.

With that in mind, I rewrote my recipes into detailed step by step instructions that walk them through the process from beginning to end. (I do mean detailed!) I wrote in large letters and tried to keep each step short. Then I took the instructions and put them in a clear page protector.

The kids can then take a dry erase marker and mark through each step as they accomplish it. This does wonders for helping them keep up with where they are and which measurement goes with what product. When they finish, they can wipe off the page protector and be ready for next time.

This also works wonderfully for chore lists!

So far the boys have made yogurt and bread with just some verbal coaching! Today they will try laundry soap and crackers.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Woo hoo! You go, Mama!