Monday, March 2, 2009

Simply Live-Experiment

I am trying to slowly remove processed foods and cosmetic items from our lives. Both from a strange nagging feeling that we are killing ourselves with "products" and from a desire to know how to be as self-sufficient as possible.

One product that I have not considered yet is shampoo. I know that many of the chemicals in shampoo can be harmful both to your hair and your body. Googling shampoo was an interesting lesson in the history of hair cleansing. Early hair cleaning was often accomplished with bar soap and was not done very often. Bar soap was far more gentle on the hair and not washing as often allowed the natural oils produced by the scalp to nourish the scalp and the hair shafts.

The switch to liquid shampoo came as more people used water with more minerals in it. Harder water did not wash out the soap as well. Shampoo was touted as a soap that did well in both hard and soft water.

One problem is that the two main ingredients, ammonium laureth sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate are rated on their MSDS (material safety data sheets) as hazardous for skin contact and possible carcinogens. Added to that are a host of foaming agents, preservatives and dyes.

Yikes! I love some clean shiny hair, but is there a better way?

My first attempt at change is using baking soda and water to wash my hair. You use a mixture of one cup water to 1 tblspoon Baking soda. I made up a gallon ahead of time and I plan to dispense it using an old water bottle to pour it over my wet head. Then you rinse and about every 3rd time pour vinegar over your head to condition your skin and hair. I use a spray bottle of water and vinegar every time due to my scalp issues.

One negative is that your hair will be slightly greasy for a little bit while your pores "cleanse" themselves and your body gets re-balanced.

One recommended tip was to brush your hair very well before washing to remove dirt.

I will try it for a while and let you know.

2 comments:

Joy said...

One way I have tried this is to massage baking soda into my scalp before getting into the shower (when hair is dry). Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse in the shower.
It worked OK.
Joy

Amy said...

I am so anticipating seeing how this works for you. A visual image of me after doing this for a month:

Gilda Radner

But I have weird hair. And I was too vain to walk around like that. And in August, I don't think anyone would *want* me to. ;)

I also have a list of some great chemical free shampoos, if Gilda comes to live at your house too...