Saturday my mother and father were in their kitchen when their refrigerator's ice-maker started filling. Mom noticed that the sound was very pressured and felt like something was wrong. They had not had any problems with the filter or water-lines, so the worry was quickly forgotten.
Yesterday the filter on the water line exploded sending gallons of water flooding into the kitchen. As I talked with her about what had happened I mentioned how often I feel a slight prompting before the flood. So often there is a still, quiet voice of warning or unease, a moment of remembrance or a thought about something unusual. I believe this is the Holy Spirit.
The Bible says that the Holy Spirit is sent to be our helper, guide, and comforter. It seems to reason, then, that He would be constantly nudging us in the right direction. God cares intimately about every moment of our lives. That quiet voice often prompts us to pray for someone or offer help to someone. Why wouldn't He remind us of library books becoming due, warn us of something that needs to be taken care of, or remind us of an upcoming event.
I am trying to learn to listen to this voice. Sometimes I notice it as an uneasy feeling or as a thought that persists at the strangest times. Sometimes it is a knowing in my heart that I need to do something right now!
What I hate is that more often than not I push these small nudgings away and then suffer needlessly later. This failure to listen has earned the library a small fortune in fees from me.
On a deeper level, God often warns His people about impending changes. When Jeremiah lived, the people of Israel were enjoying an unusually peaceful period. They became lazy and content and wanted more and more prosperity. The priests and false-prophets of the time preached "peace, peace" feeding the masses with what they wanted to hear. Poor Jeremiah! God reaches down and interrupts his peaceful life by telling him that he was to preach a message of coming destruction. Jeremiah truly was a quiet voice in the midst of a roaring crowd. He looked foolish preaching about destruction when everything was so beautiful, but the nation of Israel was unable to see the looming storm clouds forming on the international horizon. Just beyond their sight the stage was being set for the formation of the mighty nation of Babylon.
I believe that God is nothing if not completely honest and upfront. He is always very clear about consequences and costs. He also has shown that He loves to warn the people He loves.
I want to learn to listen to the Holy Spirit in me so that I benefit from the daily help that will make my life run smoother and so that I am ready for any looming storm clouds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am SO learning to listen to that voice, and not dismiss it as my being paranoid or a control freak. So many times I have heard that voice and ignored it, to a dismal result. There's even a book by Gavin DeBecker called "The Gift of Fear" which talks about this. Interesting, quick read. He calls it "intuition" and I call it "the Holy Spirit"!
Oh and I so enjoyed your boys the other day. You are an amazing mama doing a great job. I always love spending time with them!
So...how crazy awesometastic is this. I'm doing the Priscilla Shirer study called Discerning The Voice of God and its all about doing just that! I am L-O-V-Ein' it too! This study has been an absolute godsend for me. It has definitely given me a whole new view on the Holy Spirit as a being and how much He really does.
I haven't talked to you in forever. I don't so much like that. I do apologize. I hope you're well! The End.
Post a Comment