Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Today

Well, we are coming back up for air around here. The ickies seem to be clearing out and we are eating up this little "spring" we have had!

I just wanted to share a tip that has changed my life. About 5 years ago my head started itching so bad that I would scratch until it bled. This made scars that were causing bald spots! I tried everything and finally found a shampoo and conditioner that, if I used it every day, would lessen the itching some. The problem was that it was $80 for the two bottles.

When we moved here that amount of money was just not an option. Fearing going crazy from the itching, I started to research. I found that vinegar made a very good conditioner. It was reported to smooth out tangles, heal split ends, and strengthen hair. I already knew that it was soothing to skin so I decided to give it a try. I made up a spray bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 white vinegar.

Right away I noticed a huge difference. My hair was smoother and more manageable, it just felt wonderful. Within a week my head had stopped itching completely! No more dandruff, no more scratching, no more scarring! The wonderful bonus was that my naturally very frizzy hair became much more calm and manageable and I never get split ends anymore (even though I wait about 8 months between hair cuts). I don't get bad tangles either.

I thought I had found something really unusual until I mentioned it to T's grandmother who said that when she was a teenager that was all the rage. I guess there really is nothing new under the sun.

I have since seen this work for others that struggle with dandruff, tangles or split ends. I love it because it is almost free and it works!

I just keep a spray bottle in the shower and spray it on after I wash my hair (I can even use a cheap shampoo now). I rub it into my scalp and let it sit while I wash. Sometime I rinse it out, but most the time I just leave it in.

BTW-This also makes a great glass cleaner, skin conditioner, fabric softener, and on and on! Vinegar is great for everything.

10 comments:

Abbey said...

I clean my coffee pot with vinegar. It akso makes great volcanoes when mixed with a little baking soda, of course.
That's an intersting tip. I never would have thought!

Michelle said...

WOW! That is so great! I was just talking about how I never cut my hair and it's always unhealthy. Does it smell throughout the day at all?

-C said...

I just got one of those forwarded emails about the benefits of vinegar. Since you never know how true anything in any of those is, I dismissed it. However, I'm totally going to try this. Thanks for sharing ...

Graced said...

Michelle,
Every once and a while I get a whiff of pickles, but not often. If it is getting on my nerves I just rinse it out for a few days. I have never had anyone say they smelled pickles around me before. Hehe

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this would work on E's hair, anything to make it easier to comb.

Jennifer said...

Amy will love this - she is vinegar crazy. And, according to her, it's also great used for toddlers who like to squirt things in their faces. :-) At least it can't hurt as much as windex or something.

Amy said...

Yep, I use vinegar for EVERYTHING. Cleaning, washing clothes, everything.

Try this. Wash your hair with a mixture of a baking soda and water. Make a paste. Masage that in, let it sit, and rinse it.

Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar, and you get amazing hair.

:):):)

Missy said...

Vinegar is also great to stop whining or arguing children!

After you wash your hair with it you can turn around and squirt your shower too...
Hey lets write a book about how great vinegar is! ;)

Anonymous said...

I just remembered that a friend uses it as "sassy sauce"...when her kiddo is being sassy a few squirts usually do the trick!

Michelle said...

I tried it and wow! I love it. And you were right I don't smell it on me all day. YAY! thank you.