Friday, January 18, 2008

Mercy

I am so thankful for the abundant mercy God shows me every day. I could not exist without the constant forgiveness and gentleness with which He handles me. I think of all the times I screw up on accident or am flat out rebellious and I am humbled that He will have anything to do with me much less extend me a fresh set of mercy every morning.

As I have been reading in James, though, I have come upon an interesting concept. God promises we will receive mercy to the degree that we show it.

I think this works two ways. Not only will we receive a greater measure of God's mercy if we are obedient and show mercy to others, but we receive more mercy from those around us if we show great mercy to others.

Knowing that I need tremendous amounts of mercy to cover for my immaturity in so many areas, I have realized that I must learn to be a mercy giver.

There is a degree of difference between mercy and grace. Mercy is not giving the punishment that is deserved and grace is giving what is not deserved. Grace, sometimes, is bigger and more easily recognized. Mercy, on the other hand, is in the small details. It is the overlooking of the small annoyances. Mercy is given over and over in forgiveness. Mercy is not pointing out the faults of others, but choosing to believe the best about their intentions. Mercy is accepting others as they really are and not badgering them to be different.

Wow, mercy is HARD!

The funny thing about my most difficult relationships is that often I don't feel mercy from the other party. I feel judged and found lacking. Yet really I am not extending mercy, either. I am wanting to be loved better, instead mercifully accepting what I am given. I am judging because I feel judged. It is a vicious cycle, but the great thing about cycles is that they can be broken by just one person. While I am absolutely powerless to control others, I am given the Holy Spirit to help control myself.

I can start to be a mercy show-er. I can offer mercy in response to the judgment. I can offer mercy when I feel misunderstood. I can offer mercy by accepting others and not trying to control them and make them behave the way I want them to. And hopefully the response will be mercy that is shown to me. But even if it is not, it will improve my attitude and enjoyment of others.

Try it with me. Let's see what happens when we become radical mercy show-ers!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I am always glad when you come out with a new post. Mercy IS hard. But, I need it BIGTIME so I'm in :)

Michelle said...

Hey, just thought you would like this quote:

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."
— William Shakespeare

Graced said...

Oh Michelle, great quote.

Ronda said...

I've been thinking a lot about mercy this week too! I'm with you and am going to try to be better about showing it than I have been. I take for granted how much I am given and how much God forgives and shows his mercy for me. Love ya girl and am praying for you in this area!!!

Amy said...

Stop challenging me!!!! :):):)

Jennifer said...

I think this is something we can all work on, all the time, and love your ideas and explanations. Thank you!

Abbey said...

Good post. And very true... mercy is hard. But there is beauty even in that. There never seems to be a wrong time for mercy.