I feel strongly pressed to speak out a sensitive and controversial topic. If at any point you become uncomfortable or offended, please stop reading.
I am very concerned with the world in which our children are living. Every day I see more and more evidence that Satan is a roaring lion crouching at our doors seeking to devour our families. A very alarming body of information has come to my attention. This information deals with sexuality, abuse, and pornography in relation to children. I can not believe what is happening under our noses!
I do not want to weigh anyone down with facts that would cause fear, but everyday there are thousands of sexual images of children posted on the internet. These include torture, mutilation, and murder. Considering that each of these images represents an instance of sexual abuse for a child, we have a real problem.
It is estimated that one out of every four children will be sexually abused. There is no estimation for the number of children that will be inappropriately exposed to sexual material on the internet or by family or friends. Most often children are hurt by someone that they know and are comfortable around.
Children are experimenting sexually at earlier ages than ever. Law enforcement personnel are handling cases in children as young as 7 and 8. These are not sexual abuse cases, but reflect cases of children with children. By many grammar school and middle school children, oral sex and genital exposure is considered as harmless as kissing and they are indulging in increasing numbers.
As a mother, this information is horrifying. How do you protect your children and also help them savor their childhood innocence? How do you send them into a world of predators that fill our schools, daycares, churches, and families?
I urge you to start arming your children today!
Talk to them frequently about the beauty and sanctity of their body and of God's plan for sexuality. Teach your boys to look away from any exposure of a female's body. Teach your girls to dress carefully and demand respect. Talk openly about their bodies, always reminding them of God's plan for them and telling them that they are to protect their bodies for their future mates. Have them begin now praying for their mate and their marriage. It creates a mindset of saving oneself for a very special and already cherished person. Openly answer all their questions in honest terms. Keep answering until they are satisfied. You really want them to get their information from you rather than on the playground.
Let your children freely express their anger, discomfort and worries. Never force your children to accept affection that is uncomfortable (they do not have to let Aunt Susy kiss them), or hide their emotions (remember, they can be angry and not sin). Let your children know that you will always believe them first. Most children who are abused feel automatic shame and fear. Work hard at creating a safe environment for them to tell you anything.
Teach your children about good and bad touch and tell them they should immediately tell you, or another adult they can trust, if anyone hurts them. Tell them to keep telling people until someone helps them. Let them know that you are not perfect. Give them permission to seek help from someone else if you fail to understand them or help them appropriately.
Be as honest as you can about the potential dangers that exist. If they understand what is out there, they will not be as surprise or shamed if something happens. This can help lessen the damage afterward if they know they are not alone or wrong in any way. Teach them that the truth will always set them free. Help them know that almost all abusers tell the children that something bad will happen if anyone finds out the "secret" and then teach them about good and bad secrets!
Do not let your children use the internet unsupervised and never let them use a chat room. This may seem extreme, but consider the times you have stumbled upon inappropriate pictures or information and remember they are even more vulnerable. Chat rooms are a breading ground for lies and deception. Even adults are not smart enough to be able to discern all the falsehood. Children don't stand a chance. Research and understand the dangers of MySpace and blogs. Realize how many children are led into dangerous and fatal situations through the internet.
Pray, Pray, Pray! Do not stop. Beg God for their protection. Beg Him to allow no lies or deception in your family. Beg Him for integrity and honesty. Beg Him for their safety and their pure sexuality. Pray for their spouses and their children. Pray for every generation that will come from your line until the return of Christ. Pray for our nation and pray for His swift return to save us all from the evil one!
Be brave mothers that are raising equipped young warriors!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Wonderful post! I wish every parent would be as up in arms as you are about this pandemic.
Focus On the Family has some wonderful materials - some of them free articles - explaining to parents how to teach their children and yet still protect their childhood. Recently, another "arm" of Focus called Troubled With featured a series of articles. There's a link to that site on my site.
I'm appalled at some of the things Christian parents let their children watch and listen to and look at. Again, another Focus 'arm' called Unplugged has reviews on all the latest media things. I've got a link for that as well - I've called it Culture Watch.
Family Life Today is another terrific resource.
I'm with you 1000% on this. There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not reminded of the vulnerability of our children. I'm involved with many families through our ministry that are working through the problems of sexual abuse. I'm a child advocate in our county and I'm in and out of the courthouse monthly with families. There's times when I come home at the end of the day and I'm physically sick and emotionally drained from walking through the heartache with these families, children or women. Some people have suggested I ask the Lord to put a wall up around me so I don't feel the pain so much. I don't want to be desensitized to this issue, EVER.
There's another site that's on my blog I recommend for you. It's called Sisters In Service. It's a ministry started by a friend of mine. She goes into the remotest places on earth and helps women and children. There are millions of little girls missing around the world today - they've been sold into sex trade.
I'm sitting here crying as I write this. The emotion of all this is just so raw.
"Even so, COME QUICKLY Lord Jesus!"
I will add...
Mothers, be particularly careful when allowing your children to spend the night with others. You CAN'T know what goes on. The "good credentials" of a parent mean very little. This isn't the same era we grew up in. It just isn't!!!
Amen, sister. You're so right, and I'm in total agreement. Thank you for the reminder. And, I think it's extra important as the mom of 2 boys that you know this, because I think many times we assume only girls are victims in these awful situations, which is absolutely wrong. Public restrooms are a HUGE area of exposure (a dear friend's son was a victim of this at age 5) and so my kids will never be allowed to go into one without me till they're grown probably!
I would call this a great article that should be in a magazine for moms!
I hate the world we live in. And it is a worry for me for both my son and daughter.
I agree with Jenn about the bathroom. My son will not go to the mens room until he is 21. Even then, I'm not sure :)
Thanks for the reminders and encouragment!
Wonderful and depressing post. Depressing only because this is the world we live in but wonderful in reminding me to stay alert. I absolutely agree with every recommendation you had. I would also say, although it seems like a given.. no t.v's in bedrooms. Even if its basic cable. I can't watch NBC, CBS etc without seeing a Victoria's secret commercial. I agree with the public bathroom thing as well. And as of the moment my first son was born I vowed no spend the nights. Although I know thats not true.. he will be much older..old enough that I can explain the details of what you mentioned and him know exactly what Im talking about. Oh gals.. this is so sad.. I do want the Lord to return quickly.
We struggle with the bathroom issue because the boys are now old enough to make women uncomfortable (and they are uncomfortable around the women, too.) I am blessed to have two and make them go and stay together. I warn them that there are men that might try to hurt them and stay close enough to hear them if they call.
We also have the rule about spend the nights. We have always said that spending the night is for family only, unless it is at my house.
Graced,
My bathroom remedy is to have by boys go in with the door open, see if there are other men in there, if there aren't any, they're good to go, if someone is "going" they wait until they are finished, and on many occasions I've told a Gentleman that he "would have to wait, b/c my boys are in there".
Don't goof with Mama Bear!!!
great post. Im like stace with the whole bathroom thing. Dont let fear take over. Be smart and trust God, right sisters?
Yeah, I'm particular about restrooms too... I'm not afraid to let mine pee on a tree outside of Target or on my van tire in the parking lot to keep them from the big public restroom!! Hey, my cat does it, why not the boys??
Good post, girl. Very scary stuff.
I've recently started letting my boys go together to a public restroom, but no more! Most places now have Family bathrooms with just one toilet.
Good post. If someone is offended by this, then I don't them around my kids...
Seriously, G...this should be in a family magazine or something.
strong and amazing.
I love you so much.
Beautiful post! Cries of a mother's heart!
Thank you for the words you posted to me...definitely need a reminder about distinguishing between powers working in my life!
I'm excited to see what God's gonna do with me and with music...
While I sooo appreciate your thoughts and believe them to be true, I can't help but grow weary of the "worry and fear" that comes with this information. I can't control what happens to my children no matter how careful I am about my bathroom procedures or sleepover guidelines. God is in control. I'm not ignorant about the issue, but I will not be consumed with statistics and let them rule my parenting strategies as opposed to demonstrating faith in the only One that can keep my kids safe and secure in His will. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but I'm determined not to parent out of fear and desire to control my children's environment. Balance is the key, right?
-C - I understand your feelings of growing weary of the of "worry and fear" that comes with the information. I also agree with you that it is ultimately God who is in control and that balance is important. HOWEVER, you know all to well that we live in a fallen world. A fallen world that is more and more with each passing day seeking our children as it's prey because they are weak, vulnerable and trusting. We teach our children to be cautious of strangers, then we say to them, "Be polite and answer the nice lady" when they are spoken to in public and don't speak up. It's a tough world and times to raise children.
In my opinion, every parenting strategy should include talking to our children about appropriate and inappropriate touching, and building a fortress of safety around them as much as possible. I think bathroom guidelines are great. I think knowing who your children will be around at a spend the night is paramount. Better yet, host the sleep over yourself. Part of that fortress needs to be checking the web for sex offenders in your area and where they live. We need to check folks out before they can help in the nursery or have anything to do with childrens and youth ministry. That's pretty standard at many churches today. We even have an at risk policy for our ministry when mission trips come. Police background checks a must if they are going to have contact with children.
We don't have to be controlled by fear or worry or anxiety. That's sinful. But we should incorporate this subject into our parenting strategies.
These are my humble opinions based upon seeing and knowing too much.
Post a Comment