As a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom, the Christmas holidays have a tendency to be a bit like every other day. Chores, lunches, playing, learning, reading, hiding from the children for a moment of peace....
Anyway, this morning I had a mini-moment of vacation.
For the full effect of the story I need to explain that until December I had been on a very strict no-sugar diet. It really was going well and I must admit that I was feeling a lot better and not nearly as grumpy. But, well that has just gone down the toilet this December.
This morning I decided to behave. I ate my bowl of plain yogurt and granola and curled up in our recliner with a book. The boys were playing so well upstairs and I grabbed a quilt to fend off the chill in the house. And then the calling started.
I was already feeling a slight bit of guilt for my laziness but had decided there should be some sort of vacation for me to. See where this is going? Do you hear the entitlement mentality starting?
The calling was coming from the freezer. Again some explanation... I have an obsession with ice cream in the winter. I love it so much and think about it all the time. I don't crave it in the summer like normal people. Oh no! I love it when I am so cold that I am already miserable!
You would think that I was being wooed by a luscious gallon of peppermint ice cream, but no. The calling was coming from some left over ice cream sandwiches. Now I do love ice cream sandwiches, such a wonderful mixture of ice cream and chocolate cakiness. These, however, were very special. These were left over from Ethan's birthday 4 months ago. I should also mention that we have had some freezer issues and they have melted and re-frozen several times leaving the cake soggy and and ice cream a bit sticky. Needless to say they should not be much of a temptation.
I should be stronger than this. So I got up out of my warm chair and threw the box in the trash. Once again my amazing discipline won out and I was able to be who I needed to be. I also stopped reading and cleaned my silverware drawer and polished my crystal.
NOT!
I wanted one so bad I could already taste it... freezer burn and all. But did I even have the discipline to get out of my chair and get it. No, I waited for my eldest to run through the room (and I had to wait a while, because the boys were so unfortunately not in my business at the time-where are they when you need them!) I sweetly motioned him toward me. Grinning he said, "I know what you are going to say...you love me, right?" Well, yes that too, but would you please get me an ice cream sandwich from the freezer?
Unfortunately it was my truth teller that had come downstairs first and he decided to question my need for the sandwich and remind me of the one I had indulged in the night before (is that the paper shoved under my chair?) But, I resisted his strength and snapped that he should leave me alone. Sending him back to playing, I devoured my not so perfect sandwich and read my book and had a wonderful mini-vacation.
Now, of course, I am sick and shaky. But I am so not apologetic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Okay, so please tell me the time stamp is incorrect on your post. Otherwise, I'm to believe that you and your children were up before the crack of dawn, eaten breakfast, now playing together wonderfully and then at 7:05 a.m. you're telling us you've just eaten an ice cream sandwich!
lol.. I love this post. that is me when I have gestational diabetes. but with Jorgito.. i was strict because I was afraid that if I had any sugar he would come out with a third arm or something.. but with Miguel I would say, "ahhh.. just a few more units of insulin ought to do it." Now THAT is bad.
I hope you enjoyed your sandwhich.
btw. i loved the cleaning the silverware part. hilarious.
Marsha-
The time is wrong. I think it was about 9:15.
BTW- is there snow at your house on a pretty consistent basis during the winter?
Oh, that's okay then. EVERYONE eats ice cream sandwiches at 9:15 a.m. %*).
We have lots of flurries. But as for snow, we're way behind. We've usually had at least 1 snow by now that calls for a snow day. Normal is probably about 4 or 5 6" or more snows a winter. Extended weather forecast is showing snow for Christmas day! YEAH! Missy's kids will be so happy!
You are hilarious. funny and cute.
yes. you. are.
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
That makes me laugh. Don't you hate it when your children correct you like that?!
I KNOW that I SHOULD do no sugar...but HOW do you do NO sugar?
I do love yogurt with Kashi Go Lean in it...is that a good start???
Glad you enjoyed your sandwich :)
I cannot imagine my life with no sugar. I would be miserable. And I would really only go two hours, then the thought of never having sugar again would overwhelm me and I would eat two Hershey bars. I do better with an "all things in moderation" approach. Otherwise, I go ballistic.
Post a Comment