Thursday, November 1, 2007

Counting the cost

How much is my relationship with God worth?
How much would someone have to give to buy me away from God?

I would love to be able to answer that question quickly and say there is no amount of money that would buy me out of fellowship with God. I would love to say I would never sell what is so very precious to me.

But is that really true? If disobedience breaks our fellowship with God, then I am selling out every time I choose my own comfort over obedience. When I refuse to take a radical stand, when I fail to reach out with the news of God's love, when I refuse to give up my possessions, when I put my agenda in front of His, when I demand my own way, when I refuse to love unconditionally I am selling my relationship with God. I am saying that my desires, wants and comfort are more valuable than a relationship with God.

To what lengths am I willing to go to nurture my relationship with Him? Am I willing to give up everything to follow Him or am I using Him for fire insurance? Why do I pause at the idea of total surrender?

4 comments:

alli said...

I've read this entry a few times, and have been wantint to give the perfect comment. I know it is hokey, and I feel like I say it all the time...I gotta say it... I LOVE THIS BLOG!!

I love you tons!

alli said...

hey...I'm wanting to do a project this week. You up for a project day this week. I'm thinking of a painting and sawing wook kinda project. Okay, maybe not sawing, but definitely painting.

Tell me what day is good for you.

I mean, it could be next week or the next....I'm flexible.

LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU!!

alli said...

i forgot to put a question mark in the appropriate place. that's really buggin' me.

sorry.

Amy said...

That is the million dollar question. These are questions I'm gonna hate to answer to Jesus' face. The enternal vs the temporal. *sigh* At least we both struggle....