Thursday, June 14, 2007

Just a thought

You know me, I have really been questioning the validity of how "church" is done in America. I have had a nagging thought. I know of a mid-sized (about 500 regular attenders) church that spends almost $800,000 a year. Of that, $39,500 goes to missions. If you subtract out the missions giving and divide by 500 people, we are spending just over $1500 per year, per attender. (and this is a very conservative church that does not spend carelessly!)

My question has to be, is the money pouring into American churches well spent? Looking at it from a business perspective (since we are entrusted to be God's stewards, or investors) is this legitimate? Is God, our boss, getting the best return for His money? I understand that we pull people in from the community with our comfortable buildings and nice programs, but considering the church globally, is it worth the investment? The money that draws a handfull in America would reach a city across the ocean, every year!

What if...
- we closed down these money eating buildings
- all met in our homes or paid for buildings (like most of the world)
- sent our tithes and gifts directly to missions and the needy without the middle man
- turned the odds, keeping a little bit of money to support our home church and gave away 95% to missions

Man I would miss my comfy church life and the easy relationships. I would have to work harder to build my community of believers and my children would not be entertained and honestly that would hurt. But the thought just keeps nagging on my heart. What if we are all sacrificing to keep the church buildings going and when we get to heaven God is sad because people were starving to death without knowing God while we paid a $10,000 electricity bill?

8 comments:

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

okay.. now your are stepping on my toes. Ouch! Ha! I love this thinking. I really do. I would love to be a part of the early church set up. Like they did it in Acts. everybody shared everything. There were no big, fancy buildings or "attractive" programs. And the church was growing in number every day. However, what they did have in abundance was persecution. I think we need a little of that here. It scares me to death because I really feel that in my own kids lifetime they will see some of the freedoms we have now disappear. I think you are right, so how do you change the culture of our cozy, lethargic church in america??

i dig musicians said...

hahaha! Yeah...I'm excited about both as well...

Jennifer said...

Ummm...are you listening in on my conversations lately? This is almost verbatim what I've said several times and frustratingly pondered myself. I wish Someone had a clear answer for how to properly respond and act. I bet He does, actually. I'm going to keep pestering Him and I'll let you know what I learn! :-)

Unknown said...

We'll need to talk soon. I'm so with you on this.

Dollar General said...

Jason and I are considering a "missions" position as the Youth Apologist for ARC and it scares me to death b/c churches/people don't give to individual missionaries as much as they do a "mission board". People in the church give to the mission board and expect that to do the job! I fear the money issue and that's why we haven't taken the step! It's nice getting the "Church" check - it is so timely and always the same amount - COMFY!! Like I said - PLEASE pray for us. I want to step out on faith - BUT, I also don't want to be living in the streets or filing for Bankrupcy! And I have to wonder if this is what God really wants us to do! It's Satan's Deadly D - DOUBT! But the fruit from this last year keeps saying - YES! This is Jason's passion right now - teaching kids how to THINK and flesh out their beliefs. HE LOVED IT! This position would allow him to teach more kids like at Homeschool groups, Briarwood, of course SMCS, camps and conferences, get his cirriculm he wrote published. The ministry would be effective. The preaching right now is not so much! It's kinda like you said before we're in the shade or something. So, you are slowly pulling out what's behind our "pray for us" comments! You have such great insight - you are my little "blog mentor"! Thanks for listening! I would have emailed you all this but I don't have your address! Love ya, Pg

Dollar General said...

I copied and pasted your comment to a word file! Thanks for the encouragement!

Heather said...

I find myself getting very frustrated with the American churches too. Brock and I travel to a ton of different churches every year. Our favorite one this year was a home church that we visited out in California. They patterned it after the New Testament churches. It was so refreshing!! It was so a family church. Everyone worshiped together and then after a couple of hours the kids went out to play while the adults continued. Just neat! Brock and I would like to try and pattern our future church down in Mexico after the New Testament one too and not American churches...

Amy said...

I can't believe I read my own thoughts on your blog. Crazy. Maybe God is getting us ready for a new way of doing church?? We can meet at my house!:)