Friday, June 8, 2007

Bloom Where You are Planted

Watering the garden gives me lots of time to think. This time I was marveling at our gardenias. When we moved here about a year ago they were planted near the house. They were a bit sparse but looked OK. As time went on they began to yellow and then to lose all their leaves. We searched the Internet for a clue about why they were slowly dying. We really couldn't come up with anything except soil quality so we pulled them out and planted them in some pots with good soil and plenty of acid. Still they did not do very well. Tim was ready to throw them away, but I couldn't bear to part with the promise of their wonderful blooms. One day I happened to ask another gardener for his opinion and he said they require a lot of sun. Well ours were not getting very much sun next to the house so we pulled them out into the yard. Almost immediately they began to gain leaves. We found a new sunny home for them and we have even been blessed with a few blossoms over the last few weeks. As I was enjoying them while watering, I was amazed that we had been able to save them so easily.

They literally could not bloom where they were planted. They were not in a place that worked with the way God had created them. It makes me wonder. How many people are barely living, stuck in a spot that is not where God created them to be? We are like the plants. Some of us are created for the sun and others of us decorate the shade. God never intended for us all to be alike. He, on purpose, created us with different needs, likes, dislikes, and talents. We are all created for one particular destiny that was written in a book before the day of our creation.

Like the gardenias, if we are trying to live a life that is not what God created for us we can not bloom and be all that He wants us to be. I guess the lesson I walked away with was to look for my niche, not what is working for others, but what is the perfect place to nurture my soul and give me the strength to be all I can be. I also feel the call to live boldly. I don't need to stay put out of fear or comfort. I am reminded of the quote of William Wallace, "All men die, not all men really live."

6 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-C said...

I like it. It makes so much sense ... simple but powerful.

alli said...

I do love this post, -G.

But I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE that I didn't get your message until 10:35pm. I think I almost cried. Yes, I definitely got misty-eyed.

Grrrr...

Our washing machine is broken. It flooded not only the laundry room, but also my kitchen. Sooo, this morning I washed clothes at Reg's and tonight I was at my mom's home.

ARGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really did like the post.

Michelle said...

I LOVE your brain!! I love how you think. And you always have something good to say. Me and God have been talking about this one for a while and I'm telling you it was like a note from Him. I just love it when stuff like that happens. YAY!

I erased my e-mail comment just in case.

Dollar General said...

That was so beautiful. I wonder if that is what we are going through right now! Jason LOVES preaching but after this year of teaching and seeing some REAL fruit I wonder if preaching is like the shade - something he loves and is good at but not exactly what God has called us to?! We aren't exactly seeing blooms. You've given me a lot to think about! You should write a devotional - you are so thoughtful! Pray for us!!

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

you definately have a talent for writing such poignant insights. I promise this is not an attempt at frivilous flattery, but I seem to always check your blog first because of this very reason: you have such great insights and it is very encouraging. Im just amazed as well, at anyone's ability to keep plants alive. I somehow managed to kill off my pier one fake flowers (well they were man-handled by car door). Great post.