Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Pruning

As I was cutting back my plants today I had a thought. I have read the passage in John about God pruning us many times. I have always thought of it as the pruning that shapes and molds. Today I was removing the dead flower heads from my roses and I realized that God also prunes us in the same way. He will remove what once was a vibrant, beautiful fruit in our life because it is now old and finished. By removing the old, He will allow room in our lives for the new fruit that He has for us. We remove old blossoms because even though they are dead, the plant still puts energy toward that bloom. When they are removed the plant can focus its energy toward new growth.

I wonder if there are any old ministries or areas of my life that I once was focused on, but now the time has passed and it is time to allow those to be cut from my life so there is room and energy for what God has in store for me.

Forgetting what lies behind, I press on toward the mark...

8 comments:

alli said...

wow. I have never ever thought of it that way, G!
(By the way, is it okay that I call you "G"?)
I've got some petunias planted in a basket thingie on my patio. It is crazy that I as I walk by it is so easy to just pick them off. I know that it'll be good for the plant.

I wish it were that easy for me to pick off those old flowers in my life. It's like I hesitate and think "hmmm, should I pick that off or just leave it?" I mean, in real life - the answer is easy, right? It will help me grow to say no.

there's another rhyme....I'm seeing another "no" shirt.

Michelle said...

I think God created every single thing He made just to teach spiritual lessons. Also, I think it's so right on that you would be pruning and learning these lessons. It kind of reminds me of being in a constant state of prayer. I'm glad you are listening and sharing.

alli said...

can i just say that you're cuter than the clapper??

Abbey said...

Who's cuter than the clapper? Is it G? Or is it Michelle? I must know who's cuter than the clapper.

Now there's some healthy pressure for ya!! ;) Hee Haw...

Apparently now I'm a donkey. Or maybe biblically speaking, I'm an ass!! Big Hee Haw!!! LOL!!

Sorry graced! this has nothing to do with your post!! I'm in such a weird mood!! But I did love that post. Maybe I should prune that "biblical" word from my vocabulary!!

Voice in my head: "Don't publish this comment!"
Me: "I have to do it!! Must publish weird and possibly unacceptable comment!!"
See? There I go.

Anonymous said...

right on...:)

Abbey said...

Girl, I was just reading some comments on Leslie's blog & read that story about you & Tim . That is hysterical! I love it!

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

hey girl.. .long time since seeing you in Chickfila. I love the thought about pruning. I feel like my garden gets plucked quite a bit. and abbey.. I loved the comment. it made me laugh heartily.

i dig musicians said...

Yeah, I'll call you Thursday (tomorrow) during the day at some point.