Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday

Thanks for all the information about cameras. It was all very helpful in pointing us in a direction to start looking.

At church this morning, a Messianic Jew came in and shared the passover with us. He told of the elements and their significance pointing to the redemption God planned through Christ. It was really beautiful. How amazing that God speaks through pictures such as the Passover.

As Valentine's Day approaches, I find it interesting that I am struggling to love those around me. Over the past few weeks, God has brought the theme of love to my attention. Friday I read 2 Peter 1. It wonderfully describes the hope that God has given us in this corrupt world. By focusing on God's promises we can "escape the corruption that is in the world by lust." I find this comforting in view of raising children in this society.

As I read on I see a wonderful list that outlines spiritual growth. A process toward maturity. Faith-Moral Excellence-Knowledge-Self Control-Perseverance-Godliness-
Brotherly Kindness-Love


I think that it is interesting that Love, the mark of our belonging to Christ, is the last of this list. The wording of the passage indicates that each mark of maturing leads into the next. I'm sure that does not mean that we are excused from loving until we have the other characteristics down, but it is interesting to see the progression.

So many times I am frustrated over the struggle I have to be truly loving. To forgive over and over, to embrace others, to overlook faults, to be gentle and kind in the face of adversity, and to have healthy boundaries that lead to health for others. I am understanding that this kind of love is not natural and not automatic. Not only do we receive this love through God's power in us, but we are enabled to love in this way through maturity.

Thanks be to God, the Author and Perfecter of our Faith.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am sure we can always improve and grow, but in these past 6 months, since God renewed our friendship, and has given us time to truly get to know each other, I have to say you have shown incredible amounts of unconditional love to me and my family. How odd is it that the very things you listed as struggles, I've seen you demonstrate repeatedly to my family-- forgiveness, gentleness, kindness, enforcing healthy boundaries, embracing us unconditionally - so thank you, and know that God is perfecting you. I see it daily and am so grateful for your example to me. What a blessing you are! And, hooray for Valentine's Day. I'm glad I'm dragging you through my love for it. You're such a good sport. :-)

Graced said...

And you are truly the best kind of friend!