Thursday, January 18, 2007
Under the Weather
Here at the house we are all under the weather, whatever that means. I mean, aren't we always UNDER the weather. Anyway, it has been a long week full of lots of T.V. and guilt on my part as the house gets dirtier and the kids get away with "school-less" days. Why is it women struggle with resting without guilt. If I were to finally get rid of guilt in my life, I would feel like I had lost my oldest friend. I am trying, though. There is no value to guilt. I am learning to discern the difference between guilt and conviction. Guilt freezes us and keeps us from moving forward, it chains us with shame and fear. Conviction is the pull on the spirit that leads to sorrow for sin, but also leads to action and encourages change. God does not want us to live under the cloud of guilt, threatening weather that holds us back. He said that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. He wants us to live in the power of the Holy Spirit which convicts us to move us forward and frees us from the chains that hold us back. The Son died to set us free and we are supposed to be free indeed. Here is to getting out from "under the weather!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You sound like me this week - I've been swallowed in guilt and regret, mainly over by parenting/teaching (or lack of...). I actually spoke out loud to James, "I am a failure." Yikes! I keep reminding myself, in the words of Beth Moore, "Get out of that pit!" It's so hard - why do we like it in here? I am meditating on Psalm 40 a ton, and it's so powerful and encouraging.
You're speaking my language. I always have to ask myself if I am feeling convicted or if I am just feeling shame. My guilt just stays with me like a low grade fever...very annoying...but never enough to make me want to go to the "Doctor" ha ha. I will be reading but probably not writing for a while, until we get our new internet service.
Don't you wish we could take shame off like a coat and burn it and then wrap the white garment of grace around us and walk in its dignity?!
Post a Comment