Monday, January 22, 2007

Question

How do you kill an integral part of a living thing, without either killing it or changing it so completely that it is no longer of value? My question relates to the concept that we are called to die to ourselves. How is that possible? It is one of those things I thought I understood until I tried to put it into practice.

The question became very real in my life lately when I was told by my doctor that my autoimmune disease is acting up. This means that my body is attacking itself. To fight the problem we have to "kill" the attacking part of me without harming the rest.

The issues seem so connected to me. How do we spiritually kill part of our nature without fundamentally harming who we are.

Of course, it is possible. We wouldn't be told to do it if we couldn't. Maybe the key is total death. All of us dying to all of Him.

I would love input on this from anyone.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Ha! I read this the other day and just came back to get some answers myself...I guess we are out of luck. All your other entries have comments. This one is tuff!

Graced said...

I have spent some more time thinking. Really the only thing I can come with is the verse that says unless a seed falls into the ground and dies, it abides alone, but if it dies it brings forth much fruit. I can be Rebecca, full of my personality and likes and dislikes doing my own thing and acknowledging God in word only. I will be the best Rebecca I can be, but I will only ever be Rebecca. If I die and give every moment, breath,and thought to God, I can grow into something bigger and better. Still Rebecca, but a better Rebecca than I could ever have been. The Rebecca God had in mind when He created me.

I know that dying to ourselves is brutal and every moment. It should cause pain and frustration at some level.

Michelle said...

Can I be THAT Rebecca? I am so joking. That makes sense(what you said).

Graced said...

Yes, you too can be THAT Rebecca, Just send $19.99 to the above address...and if you act now, we will include two free THAT little Laatschs for no extra charge!!

alli said...

The $19.99 is in the mail, hot stuff!

Did that soooo wigg you out that I called you "hot stuff"? Can't help it, sister. I'm b-boppin' to some hip hop music. Yo diggidy. This is how I roll when I am jiggy with the hippidy hoppidy beat.

Someone help me. Please?

This music really isn't edifying at all. I'm gonna change the channel.

I LOVE YOU REBECCA!! I'm gonna read your blogs now! got a bit too excited when I found you.

alli said...

I totally feel shallow now.

Like - seriously - I just saw your blog...skimmed over your comments...and, commented. Didn't even read your blog.

I'm sooo gonna call you tomorrow and ask you how your body is doing.

And, I'm gonna apologize for being a dork.

I LOVE YOU!!!!

Graced said...

Alli,
Hey if we can't be jiggedy together who can. I am fine. You know I prefer a laugh to a cry any old day! I think your response was perfect.

Abbey said...

Hello to you! (I'm responding to your comment on mine, by the way) Otherwise I would think that a very formal way to say hey to someone!
Wow, I want so much to give some feedback on this one, but I didn't go to Bible college, so I'm kind of insecure of what wrong I might say to a slew of Bible college goin' folks, to be honest. But I will reveal that mostly when it comes to death, and dying and living and the intertwining of all three, I just don't know much except that I'm mostly ready for Jesus to come on back. I really don't know how to do anything well that He asks of me, and I'm sort of tired right now of trying to understand anything about Him and His mysterious ways. Sorry, this sounds negative, but it's true!! Don't worry though. Tomorrow, my whole blog will probably be about how wonderful life is and how good God is and "Oh the blessings!" and so on and so forth.
It's the way of an emotional woman, I guess!

Graced said...

Bible College is not always an asset. A life walking under the hand of God is far more valuable, so speak on! There is no condemnation allowed here! I think you are so right, I physically feel unable to keep going. The struggle is so overwhelming, and most days it feels as if all the reward comes with heaven. About being emotion and swing back and forth, I am on the teeter-totter with you!

-C said...

Graced-I think you're right on. The first thing that came to my mind was the Charlotte's Web. Weird, I know ... and not very "Bible college". :) But, the way that Charlotte died in order for her brood to live ... I think that is true of parts of our nature. Something has to die in order for the beauty of new life to shine through. Hope that makes sense.